Economic Development

Starting a Business in the Town of Eagar

Click here to go to the Arizona Commerce Authority Small Business Services division. This site includes a free, online "Step-by-Step Checklist to Start, Operate and Grow a Business in Arizona." (Program includes business licensing information and statewide resources.) You have found what you believe is the ideal location to open a new business in the Town of Eagar. Prior to making a commitment to enter into a lease contract or purchase of property, the Town of Eagar would like you to be informed on the requirements of conducting business in the Town of Eagar. All the information mentioned in this information sheet can be found in The Town of Eagar Code Titles 5, 13, 15, 16 and 18. The Town Code can be viewed by clicking this link.

In order to start a business in the Town of Eagar there are four steps or checks that you are encouraged to complete to have a successful start for your business. Please use the following as a guide as you plan your project.

1. Zoning Check:
Once you have found a property you are interested in opening a new business at, it is suggested that you contact the Town of Eagar Community Development Department to check if the property is properly zoned for your proposed use. When you come to the Community Development Department it is suggested that you ask as a minimum the following:

  • What is the current zoning?
  • Does my proposed use comply with the Permitted Uses for the property as currently zoned?
  • Are the proposed Accessory Uses allowed for the property as currently zoned?
  • Does my proposed use require a Conditional Use Permit?
  • If I have to get a Conditional Use Permit how long might it take to get a decision on the application? How much will it cost? Are the fees reimbursable if the Conditional Use permit is not approved?
  • What are the property development standards? (i.e. Minimum Lot Area, Average Lot Width, Lot Frontage, Setbacks, Building Size, Building Height, Lot Coverage, Screening and Minimum Elevation.)
  • What are the General Use Regulations for the Property?
  • Is the property located in a Regulated Flood Hazard Area? (If the property is located in a special flood hazard area it may increase the total cost of your project significantly.)
  • Can I do a Minor Land Division? Is it a Subdivision?
  • Are there any zoning fees required to be paid based on the proposed use of the property?
  • How many and what size of signs can I have for my business?
  • What is required to have the design of my building approved and how long does it take?

2. Building Permit Check:
During your visit to the Community Development Department, the following minimum questions should be asked or considered: (If incomplete plans are submitted, the Community Development Department may not be able to provide all the information that you may need to plan your project.)

  • What are the current adopted Building Codes?
  • Do I need to use a Licensed Contractor?
  • Do I need to have an Architect/Engineer draw my plans?
  • What are the Building Permit Fees? After I have submitted my plans and paid the permit fees and decide not to go forward are my fees reimbursable?
  • I am doing a change of occupancy; do I have to comply with the current Building Codes?
  • What are the requirements for a Change of Occupancy?
  • Is a pre-construction meeting required?
  • What are the minimum documents/plans that I need to submit to have a plan review?
  • How long does it take to have the plans reviewed and a permit issued?
  • Do I need approval from outside agencies? (Fire Marshall, Health Department, etc.)
  • Once my permit is issued how long is the permit valid?
  • What are the required inspections that I should have?
  • Are there special inspections required from outside of those provided by the Town of Eagar?
  • How soon can I get an inspection after I have requested one?
  • When can I get my Certificate of Occupancy?

3. Water and Sewer:
Prior to making an offer or entering into a contract, you should contact the Town of Eagar Water Department to make sure water and sewer service is available to your property. Doing this will give you an idea of how long it will take you to get services to your property when you need them.

4. Business License:
Every business, including rental property, in the Town of Eagar needs a business license. Contact the Town of Eagar. Please contact the Community Development Department for information on the questions mentioned above. Staff is dedicated to you and your business success.